RH Satellite 6.5.0 my experiences

Latest response

All,

I found RH Satellite 6.5 is General Available.
https://access.redhat.com/announcements/4137811
Started the update, see if I will encounter issues.

Issues:
1. cvmanager does not work anymore.
1.1 Has been reported in the issue list of the github project.
1.2 Opened a RfE to get it supported by Red Hat, so cvmanager gets in line with RH Satellite updates.
2. RHEL 8 KVM guests clients do not get correct Subscription when you have VDC subscriptions. Opened a support case.
2.1 There seems to be an issue with virt-who on RHEL 7.6 not reporting RHEL 8 guests.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Responses

We are still pushing it, please wait for the announcement to ensure the best results :)

Any plans for capability to perform Satellite upgrades skipping versions? e.g. upgrade 6.2 to 6.5 or 6.3 to 6.5?

Hello Bryan,

The installation iso is put online.

So what is the issue?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi all,

Has anyone found a workaround to get cvmanager to work with Satellite 6.5?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Sam,

As a customer I can only tell you that the upgrade manual only describes an update from 6.4.x -> 6.5 Maybe a Red Hatter can answer your question or you have to open a support case.

IMHO there might be some issues updating Puppet Server if you skip versions.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan, I agree the differences in Satellite component versions poses challenges if you skip versions.

Having the capability to skip would be slick.

If you are on a version earlier than 6.4, you could install a new Satellite and Capsules and migrate the hosts as time allows using the bootstrap script. But read the Upgrading Puppet chapter in the 6.4 Upgrading and Updating Red Hat Satellite guide first.

You need to use the bootscript, for katello-ca-customer-latest.rpm may drop in version.

So If you want to use the katello-ca-customer-latest.rpm you need to erase the one from the old satellite first and then install the one from the new satellite.

Renamed the title to better reflect the content.