RH Satellite 6.5.0 my experiences (issues fixed)

Latest response

All,

I found RH Satellite 6.5 is General Available.
https://access.redhat.com/announcements/4137811
Started the update, see if I will encounter issues.

Issues:
1. cvmanager does not work anymore.
1.1 Has been reported in the issue list of the github project.
1.1.1 Github solution: /usr/bin/tfm-ruby /usr/local/bin/cvmanager instead of /usr/localbin/cvmanager. Direct applicable
1.2 Opened a RfE to get it supported by Red Hat, so cvmanager gets in line with RH Satellite updates.
1.2.1 Red Hat suggested solution: add options to manage Content View number of versions via WebUI. Not available
2. RHEL 8 KVM guests clients do not get correct Subscription when you have VDC subscriptions.
2.1 Opened a support case.
2.1.1 There was an issue with virt-who on RHEL 7.6 not reporting RHEL 8 guests.
2.1.2 solution part 1: Wrong user was used to login into hypervisor by virt-who, deployed a new config now all is fine
2.1.3 solution part 2: the manifest needed to be refreshed by Red Hat to get RHEL8 available.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Responses

We are still pushing it, please wait for the announcement to ensure the best results :)

Any plans for capability to perform Satellite upgrades skipping versions? e.g. upgrade 6.2 to 6.5 or 6.3 to 6.5?

Hi Sam,

advise either open a Support Case or open a new thread. For my thread it is not applicable, I was running RH Satellite 6.4.3 before the update.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Sam you can do several releases in a singlt outage but you will be doing each one in that window.

Hi Bryan, It is possible to upgrade through versions in a single outage. Depending on your setup and how many capsules etc, that could be a long time. High likelihood of a long list of issues to work through at the end.

To get the documentation updated to describe the supported upgrade paths, I opened RH case 02393211.

This is what I reconstruct from all the documentation links:

Supported upgrade paths:

Lower to 6.3

• Satellite 6.2.11 or later → Satellite 6.3
  • Satellite 6.1.9 or later → Satellite 6.2.11 or later → Satellite 6.3
  • Satellite 6.0.x → Satellite 6.1.9 or later → Satellite 6.2.11 or later → Satellite 6.3.x

6.3 to 6.4

• Satellite 6.3.x -> Satellite 6.4.y

6.4 to 6.5

• Satellite 6.4.y -> Satellite 6.5.0

Hello Bryan,

The installation iso is put online.

So what is the issue?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

The repos were not completely there.

Hi all,

Has anyone found a workaround to get cvmanager to work with Satellite 6.5?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

I received one from the GitHub cvmanager project, see the post summary.

Hi Sam,

As a customer I can only tell you that the upgrade manual only describes an update from 6.4.x -> 6.5 Maybe a Red Hatter can answer your question or you have to open a support case.

IMHO there might be some issues updating Puppet Server if you skip versions.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan, I agree the differences in Satellite component versions poses challenges if you skip versions.

Having the capability to skip would be slick.

If you are on a version earlier than 6.4, you could install a new Satellite and Capsules and migrate the hosts as time allows using the bootstrap script. But read the Upgrading Puppet chapter in the 6.4 Upgrading and Updating Red Hat Satellite guide first.

You need to use the bootscript, for katello-ca-customer-latest.rpm may drop in version.

So If you want to use the katello-ca-customer-latest.rpm you need to erase the one from the old satellite first and then install the one from the new satellite.

I do not have this issue, so why was Sam's entry marked as a best solution?

Renamed the title to better reflect the content.

Thanks for sharing fixes ir. Jan Gerrit Kootstra.