Install simple scan software in Red hat enterprise linux 8

Latest response

Hi guys,

I upgraded to Red hat 8 from 7.5 (fresh install). My BaseOS, AppStream and Supplementary repos are enabled. I want to install a very basic scanning software "simple-scan" (which was available with Redhat 7, 7.5) and I cannot find it in these repos. In which repo is it available?

Regards,
Anish

Responses

I suppose you installed the el7 version from EPEL. You'd have to wait for them to release EPEL-8.

Hi Anish,

The package simple-scan is (and was) not available in the Red Hat repositories, it's available from the EPEL repository.
So, you must have enabled EPEL and installed it on RHEL 7 from there. Unfortunately EPEL is not set up for RHEL 8 yet.
Please be a little bit patient - and check regularly for the availability of the EPEL repository for RHEL 8 ... hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian

Thanks for your reply. Do you probably know when will EPEL for RHEL 8 will be available? Will it be available in the next few weeks?

Unfortunately not Anish, nobody can predict when it will be available.
But I guess the maintainers are working hard to get it ready soon ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I think, its gonna take a while according to this wiki EPEL-8

Hi Anish,

Only the SANE suite is available as scan toolset.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

EPEL 8 repo is available now. How do I check if the package simple-scan is available in EPEL 8 repo without installing RHEL 8? I don't want to wipe RHEL 7.5 and install RHEL 8 again only to find out that the simple-scan is not yet available in EPEL 8 repo.

Regards, Anish

Hi Anish,

Visit this website to check and find which packages are currently available ... :)
https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/8/Everything/x86_64/Packages

Regards,
Christian