RH Sat v5.8 shows entries under yum history but not /var/log/yum

Latest response

I'm just wondering why RH Sat v5.8, if doing package installs from the RH Satellite, for example the following errata.

RHSA-2019:0622-1
RHSA-2019:0623-1

Why isn't there any entry in /var/log/yum to show that these packages where successfully installed?

However yum history command will show an entry for that successful package install:

# yum history 
 134 | System <unset>           | 2019-03-21 08:44 | Update         |    1

# yum history info 134
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, rhnplugin, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or Red Hat Satellite.
Transaction ID : 134
Begin time     : Thu Mar 21 08:44:09 2019
Begin rpmdb    : 1514:25ffe55ef6d7a19e28d3405305deb3caf5ec0b4c
End time       :            08:45:32 2019 (83 seconds)
End rpmdb      : 1514:2e66146601195fd012078814a0198cead42da283
User           : System <unset>
Return-Code    : Success
Transaction performed with:
    Installed     rpm-4.11.3-35.el7.x86_64                    @rhel-7-server-rpms
    Installed     subscription-manager-1.21.10-3.el7_6.x86_64 @rhel-x86_64-server-7
    Installed     yum-3.4.3-161.el7.noarch                    @rhel-7-server-rpms
    Installed     yum-metadata-parser-1.1.4-10.el7.x86_64     @anaconda/7.4
    Installed     yum-rhn-plugin-2.0.1-10.el7.noarch          @rhel-7-server-rpms
Packages Altered:
    Updated firefox-60.5.1-1.el7_6.i686 @rhel-x86_64-server-optional-7
    Update          60.6.0-3.el7_6.i686 @rhel-x86_64-server-optional-7
history info

Responses

Hello Christopher,

You are viewing /var/log/yum from the 'target' ? You might find what you are looking on the target in /var/log/rhsm.

Thanks, Joe

For the sake of full disclosure I looked at a system that had subscribed to a satellite 5.6 install at one point. If I remember correctly /var/log/rhsm is for redhat subscription manager as a opposed to the rhn classic which became obsolete.

I opened a support case last year with the same exact question, except for Satellite 6, because the same behavior exists there -- a "push" install initiated from the Satellite server will not update /var/log/yum.log, but it will record an entry in the "yum history" database.

This is apparently by design - the "yum.log" file is only to log the results of the command-line "yum" tool. Satellite 5 + rhnsd or Satellite 6+katello-agent/goferd do not perform their tasks by executing /usr/bin/yum, instead they make direct calls to the underlying yum libraries; the libraries do update the "yum history" database, but do not touch the /var/log/yum.log file.

I looked thru /var/log/rhsm.log on the target RHEL VM and I don't see anything within the log that shows that a package update was pushed successfully to the target. Unless I'm looking for the wrong entry.

Christopher,

My apologies for the typo. The path I see on the machine I was referencing that had been getting updates from our Satellite 5.6 install is /var/log/rhsm/ I mistype before and put /var/log/rhsm.log

The reason I pointed it out is you can see the conversation going on between the target and satellite. It shows repo updates etc. The problem is we haven't used that Satellite 5.6 since before 2015. I turned that work over to a team mate when I moved on to other responsibilities. I know sometime after 2015 he then move to Satellite 6.X and all of our servers talk to that one.

I looked around and found a server that was alive back then, has /var/log/rhsm/ but the logs in there have rolled off that would have been when I did the patching with 5.6. I only see logs where they where still trying to communicate with 5.6 assuming he left it up while he transition to 6.x

So I was curious since you have servers actively using you Satellite 5.8 and if there was a /var/log/rhsm/ do you see in any of those logs the update you can not find in the local yum history?

Thanks again and apologize for not laying it all out better the first time.