How to install open vpn for rhel 7.5 the right way

Latest response

Hey everyone, I've been trying to figure out how to install openvpn for rhel 7.5 workstation the right way (red hat don't recommend we enable the epel repo), but without luck so far.

I'm wondering if anyone here could help with the steps on how to do this! Thanks if you can!

Responses

Me too. I installed Cisco AnyConnect, but it won't start for lack of libpangox, which I don't know where to get.

Hi Andrew

First, I'd recommend if you're going to install something like openvpn, update your current system to RHEL 7.6 so that when you use a current version of openvpn, it ought to work well with a current patched system.

So Andrew, you're correct, openvpn is under EPEL. Now EPEL is designed to be used on Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora. What was the reason Red Hat recommended you do not enable the EPEL repository? Did they recommend against because it might interfere with something else? Red Hat distributes EPEL with the express understanding that while it is available for use, the rpm packages (of course) under EPEL are not given support. So was it due to a lack of support for the openvpn rpm they recommended against?

EPEL is not prohibited for use by Red Hat systems. You just have to know that if you install some useful rpm from EPEL that you must go to the community for support for those things that are EPEL. Did Red Hat believe that openvpn would cause some issues with the function of an existing system? Honestly, this doesn't make sense, can you provide more details?

I briefly used openvpn once on a home Red Hat system (that I could reload on a whim) and loosely followed the instructions I found from VyprVPN and adopted them for use on Red Hat. Yeah, it was not a one-for one step-by-step method, but in principle, I got it running.

Some of the possible rpms I think were (in addition to openvpn rpm) NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome, NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome (I'm doing this from memory, I haven't used it on Red Hat for years), and perhaps some other rpms. The configuration and crt file locations were similar for the crt files and for the configs I had to update.

In step 9 of this guide, I had to make numerous connections for the servers I wished to use. Then they were available through network manager.

I mostly adopted that guide in the last paragraph, and while it was fully unsupported by anyone or any company on earth, it worked (for me, a few years ago).

Wish you well with this

RJ

Todd,

This is a wild guess here, but maybe the rpm "pangox-compat" (EPEL) might work? It is listed for Your system I'd imagine is RHEL 7, yet, I found this at a RHEL 6 discussion. I did an echo n | yum install pangox-compat pangox-compat-devel and (with EPEL) it would install with a bunch of other non-EPEL rpms.

Wish you well with this

RJ

Yes. Turned out I had pangox-compat, and AnyConnect started working after a bit. I'm not sure what I did. Maybe restarted or something.

Thanks for all the help everyone, and apologies for my late reply.
From memory redhat, said they wouldn't support any epel related packages. I guess when I found it so easy to use in Ubuntu, I didn't understand the discrepancy - auto login just worked, where as with RHEL, days of exploration got me nowhere to enable the autologin service. I have been unable to update to 7.6 due to other tickets, so it might be a while before I can do that. I decided in the end to run the VPN through an Ubuntu 16 VM, and it worked really simply. I'll get back to it again in RHEL at some point though, since my tests with mounting NFS over open vpn thuse far have not been great (25% performance from usual)