Rescue the RHEL system

Latest response

can any body tell me the step that i should do to rescue the system when it is down ? thank you

Responses

Hi Ahmed,

• Step 1 provide us with the error message you see on your (virtual) console.
  • Step 2 download a DVD iso of your RHEL release, and burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB stick and boot into rescue mode. Provide error or warning messages you see.
  • Step 3 we may be able to provide more information based your input provided while performing steps 1 and 2.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Ahmed,

Last night I was upgrading my home servers from CentOS 7.5 to 7.6 and hit famous errors with shim, Gnome Desktop and SecureBoot for EFI systems:

file /boot/efi/EFI/centos from install of fwupdate-efi-12-5.el7.centos.x86_64 conflicts with file from package grub2-common-1:2.02-0.65.el7.centos.2.noarch

I used the process Jan Gerrit gave you. Simple and efficient. Sadly, in my case I had to do some additional interesting stuff and hence only had two hours of sleep overnight. Never mind, who needs to sleep :)

Note that you do not need to use the bootable DVD with the same version you are trying to recover. I had CentOS 7.4 DVD and it helped me recover CentOS 7.5, which then helped me upgrade to CentOS 7.6.

While booting into rescue mode, it will prompt you for actions and suggest something like:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage

Also, be aware that in rescue mode you can easily start networking and other services when needed (for example, to install missing packages or libraries, and so on).

Best wishes and good luck,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Hi Dusan,

To avoid such conflict with the grub2-common package, remove the fwupdate-efi package beforehand.
It should be safe to do that, as the package was removed in fedora 29 by running sudo dnf autoremove.
I didn't face a problem since I've done this some weeks ago - just a hint - and now get yourself some sleep. :)

Regards,
Christian

its really helped

You are right Christian.

It was late night session and I forgot the basics :) Puppet manifests I was working on another project distracted me during package updates on my own RHEL 7.5 systems. In the end, no damage done, except one sleepless night.

I am glad we helped Premkumar with his problem.

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.