RHEL 8.0 : Beta release available

Latest response

Latest exciting news : Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Beta is open to customers Click on "GET STARTED" to gain access.

Red Hat Blog article : Powering IT’s future while preserving the present: Introducing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Beta

Red Hat Developer article from Mike Guerette (Global Developer Relations Manager at Red Hat) : RHEL 8 Beta is here

More information about RHEL 8 Beta in the Knowledgebase article Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.0 Customer Beta FAQ.

Edit 2018-12-11 :

I just saw that my information about the System Purpose issue is marked as "Best Response". I haven't marked it as such. I assume that this was done by a Customer Portal system administrator or a Red Hat employee who is responsible for RHEL 8 development. First I thought about un-marking it ... but then I decided to leave it as it is, because the information is somewhat essential to start the RHEL 8 Beta testing at all and all users who enter the discussion immediately can see it.

Regards,
Christian

Responses

Hi Apurva,

--attach-auto is not the way to go in this case ... better use attach --pool=<beta-ID>.
In case you have more than one subscription, select which one to attach by using this option. :)

Regards,
Christian

Sure.

Hi Apurva,

First remove the currently attached subscription and then attach the RHEL 8 Beta subscription. :)

Regards,
Christian

as an FYI the primary RHEL 8 Beta repos are "baseos" and "appstream". BaseOS is the RHEL base repo somewhat equivalent to say the rhel-7-server-rpms repo.

AppStream is the new repo that is used for Application Streams/Modularity.

Hi Apurva,

You have attached the wrong subscription, you have to attach the RHEL 8 Beta subscription in order to make use of RHEL 8 Beta. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, How to attach RHEL 8 Beta subscription ? Because the same way I am able to attach for RHEL 7 and 6. No need to mention for specific version.

Hi Apurva,

Execute sudo subscription-manager list ... search for the RHEL 8 Beta pool ID.
Execute sudo subscription-manager attach --pool=<beta-ID> to attach it. :)

Regards,
Christian

the same way i was tried but not able to pool. the logs has been attached above. Anyways once again i will try this. Thanks

Hi Apurva,

If the beta subscription is not listed, then you don't have it. See my original post how you can get it. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, Thanks it works!! looks like some mess with repo subscription. I had followed the steps mentioned for RHEL8 beta, then subscribed first. I got the confirmation mail from redhat after that i am able to pool the repo. But still this is not a full release hence lot of packages are missing i guess. No worries. I want to explore the buildah and podman service. How they integrate and how it work directly with OS.

Hey Apurva, great ! I'm glad that you could get it done - so now you can enjoy the beta testing ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Yes! Started already.

So we will not yet be able to install many packages on RHEL 8.0 Beta with the Beta subscription. Is there no way i can use Developers subscription on 8.0 yet ? When is the stable release with repositories is expected to come out ?

Hi Jatin,

No, you cannot use the developer subscription. "When is the stable release with repositories is expected to come out ?" Well, Red Hat never provides any pre-information about "what gets released when" ... the philosophy is : "it's ready when it's ready" ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Need to check the OS repo(which include in ISO) too. Need to mount locally and check.

Even I am not able to install htop. I need to check CPU utilization.

As in Ubuntu 18.04 they have restricted the CPU usage and threads. number of bugs were fixed as mentioned in change log

Regarding VirtualBox and the GUI - I haven't had any issues with the GUI. I've followed the Red Hat Developer VirtualBox Install for RHEL 8 Beta instructions without issue on Windows 7 and 10. I know several people who have done it on macOS as well. I didn't change any of the default emulated hardware.

If you are having problems, please make share the details of how you configured your VM. Did you change anything under display that might be running into a driver issue?

I can't use pacat (or parec) from pulseaudio-utils to record sound in FLAC.

$ pacat --list-file-formats | grep flac
flac    FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
$ pacat -r --file-format=flac test.flac
Failed to open audio file.

Wav works:

$ pacat -r --file-format=wav test.wav

Is it just me?

Hello All, I found this is very helpful for installing and deploying RHEL 8 Beta

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8-beta/html-single/installing_and_deploying_rhel/?extIdCarryOver=true&sc_cid=701f2000001OH6pAAG

All,

Has anyone been able to deploy RHEL 8.0 beta via a Satellite installation? I get a message claiming 3 package that would be missing redhat-lsb-core, wget and an authentication compat package. After the package installation the post install fails, due to issues trying to create users.

Until now Red Hat has not provided a solution for this issue.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Here's a new information tutorial about RHEL 8 Beta from my friend Sadashiva.
http://simplylinuxfaq.blogspot.com/2018/12/what-is-new-in-rhel-8-beta.html

Regards,
Christian

Thank you Christian :)

You're welcome, Sadashiva ! Well done, really - you've summarized the main changes ... very nice. :)

Regards,
Christian

I have a question I am running rhel beta-8 on a dell laptop every thing seems to work fine except the file manager has a bug after I transfer a folder and then reopen it crashes at once then I have to log out and back in to get it to work I don't know what to do about this can you help?

Hi Ronald,

You are testing a beta release, so bugs have to be expected. You can report the bug on https://bugzilla.redhat.com.
But first you should search if the same bug was already reported and add information, in case such a report exists. :)

Regards,
Christian

sorry i replied in the wrong place I do not know where to search for bug reports

That is my problem I do not know where search for the reports

Hi Ronald,

Go to https://bugzilla.redhat.com and type rhel into the search field and you will see the bugs being reported. :)

Regards,
Christian

Latest videos for RHEL 8 Beta on YouTube are nice polished quick summaries of some of the less noticed/celebrated new features: https://www.youtube.com/user/RedHatVideos/search?query=rhel+8+beta

Seems cockpit is becoming a pretty serious point of focus.

The image builder capability is pretty tidy.

Hi ! :)

I agree, Cockpit is a great tool to manage the servers from a GUI. I'm using Cockpit for quite a long time and everything works smoothly without issues. The only thing that needs enhancements, is the virtual machines
plugin, right because it's intended to be the replacement for the deprecated Virtual Machine Manager. VMM
provides a bunch of useful configuration options, it is the best (IMHO) GUI tool to manage virtual machines.

Regards,
Christian

Is it possible to re-enable iptables on RHEL8? We use shorewall on many machines and it won't support nftables.

Also, no gnu screen ? At least RH could provide tmux config and alias to screen with the same keyboard shortcuts.

iptables versus nftables, for those who need iptables, please open a Request for Extension support case.

Pages