Using Kickstart repo to download package on a host Satellite 6.2

Latest response

How to download a particular package on a host without registering it to Satellite 6? for example, download and install 'subscription-manager' from a kickstart repo from Satellite 6.2.

Responses

I assume you are attempting to register a host to Satellite that doesn't already have subscription-manager?

Hi Rich, Yes. Actually I am trying to install subscription-manager on one of my hosts that doesn't have subscription-manager package. For a workaround, I downloaded ISO dvd and tried to install it from it but didn't work either. So, I was hoping I could directly install it from a kickstart repo,

yum install subscription-manager

Loaded plugins: langpacks Resolving Dependencies --> Running transaction check ---> Package subscription-manager.x86_64 0:1.20.10-1.el7 will be installed --> Processing Dependency: subscription-manager-rhsm = 1.20.10 for package: subscription-manager-1.20.10-1.el7.x86_64 --> Finished Dependency Resolution Error: Package: subscription-manager-1.20.10-1.el7.x86_64 (InstallMedia) Requires: subscription-manager-rhsm = 1.20.10 Installed: subscription-manager-rhsm-1.20.11-1.el7_5.x86_64 (@rhel-7-server-rpms) subscription-manager-rhsm = 1.20.11-1.el7_5 Available: subscription-manager-rhsm-1.20.10-1.el7.x86_64 (InstallMedia) subscription-manager-rhsm = 1.20.10-1.el7 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem

I would recommend updating to Satellite 6.3 or newer, which includes version 1.5 (or greater) of the katello-client-bootstrap package.

The bootstrap script has an option --deps-repository-url which allows you point the bootstrap script at a yum repo (such as a kickstart repo) and it will install subscription-manager prior to attempting registration:

From the bootstrap documentation:

For clients who do not have subscription-manager installed (which is a prerequisite of bootstrap.py), the deps-repository-url option can be used to specify a yum repository which contains the subscription-manager RPMs On your Foreman instance, kickstart repositories are available via HTTP, and are ideal to be used in this scenario. However, any yum repository with the required packages would work.

./bootstrap.py -l admin \
    -s foreman.example.com \
    -o "Red Hat" \
    -L RDU \
    -g "RHEL7/Crash" \
    -a ak-Reg_To_Crash \
    --download-method https \
    --deps-repository-url "http://server.example.com/pulp/repos/Example/Library/content/dist/rhel/server/7/7.2/x86_64/kickstart/"

Again, you need katello-client-bootstrap version 1.5 or newer (such as what is included in 6.3 & 6.4)

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.