Which one to choose? RHEL HA Add-On or RHEL RS Add-On?

Latest response

Just wanted to request for information on what specific things do I need to look out for to determine if my client needs HA or RS Addons.

Which one do I need for A/P clusters and which one do I need for HA clusters?

Also, may I please know if there's an in-depth comparison between the two?

Thank you!

Responses

Hi,

You may need both subscriptions. If you've plans of using 'gfs2' (shared storage) then you would certainly need to resilient storage subscription and HA would also required, because all main cluster components would come from this channel.

Check out more details about the policies of these subscriptions: https://access.redhat.com/articles/3290191 https://access.redhat.com/articles/3290201

How to install High Availability and/or Resilient Storage cluster packages in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 or 7?

To clarify, you may need EITHER the Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability Add-on OR the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage Add-on for a given cluster depending on the applications it will support. The repositories enabled by a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage Add-on subscription is inclusive of the repositories that the Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability Add-on subscription enables. The key difference are in traditional high availability use cases for an application.

"Resilient Storage: This Add-On subscription includes the High-Availability Add-On. The customer does not need to purchase the High Availability Add-On separately."

If the application is running resources that need shared, simultaneous access to a raw volume or gfs2 clustered file system, choose the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Resilient Storage Add-on subscription. Nodes in these clusters can simultaneously support application services that follow other traditional HA models.

In all other traditional HA use cases for physical or virtual instances, choose the the Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability Add-on subscription.

The best information for what to choose can be found in these locations:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7

ASIDE: These sections also discuss the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Load Balancer Add-on