RHEL8 Alpha

Latest response

Hi,
I saw that you can now open a support case against a rhel8 alpha, can you sign up for early access? When will it be accessible for normal subscribers?

Greetings
Klaas

Responses

Hi Klass,

As long as it's not offered to download from the Customer Portal, the only option would be to ask Sales or Customer Support. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Klaas,

Alpha releases are only available to specific companies. I once asked how to be become an alpha tester, the trainer could not answer the question.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Back in the day, when I was still working for vendors, the only customers that tended to get alpha access were ones that were doing fairly exotic stuff that could only be accomplished by the alpha OS release. Even then the customer had to sign off on accepting that system availability was likely to be low, that any data hosted on or transformed by the alpha-release was subject to damage and loss, and that they needed to run with debugging/profiling kernels and crash-dumps enabled and loaded to the alpha program's support site on every crash-incident.

I would like to evaluate due to limitations on the current RHEL7 kernel. this is for future project, need to make sure that solution will work with future RHEL release. is that good enough justification ?

Hi Walid,

I think it is a bit too early to test something for the future project, because too many things may change until GA.
To test if everything works in/for your project - I recommend to wait until RHEL 8 Beta is being made available. :)

Regards,
Christian

All,

I sent an email to David Powles to ask for Red Hat's alpha testing policy, I hope to get an answer in a few days. @Walid: An alpha release might not contain the kernel that will be used in the GA release, it is an indication.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Thank you, Jan Gerrit - good idea ! :)

Regards,
Christian

You can test against a fedora, that's what rhel8 is going to be based on. Timing suggest it should be close to a f28 :)

While Fedora is the upstream for Red Hat, it's never really felt like much more than "this is sorta what you might expect to be in RHEL in a couple years." Other than the way Hollywood uses the term "based on", Fedora's more a suggestion for what Red Hat might do with RHEL than being close enough that you could truly say "based on".

will test on F28, I know it works on there. thanks @klass Demter

Is RHEL8 alpha downloads available? I remember seeing a note on the availability but not finding in the download site.

Contact your Red Hat TAM to hook you up

In general Alpha versions are only available to specific compagnies.

RHEL 5 Released on 2007-03 RHEL 6 Released on 2010-11 RHEL 7 Released on 2014-04

So from 5 to 6 it is 3 years and 7 months from 6 to 7 it is 4 years and 5 months from 7 to 8 (Not released but as of now it is 4 years and 7 months)

So normally we should hear about Beta months ago (as RHEL 7 beta announced 2013-12 that is 5 months before RHEL 7 release) so even they announce it this month 8 BETA it will be 5 years and 1 month for RHEL 8 which is nearly double compared to 5 to 6.

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/powering-its-future-while-preserving-present-introducing-red-hat-enterprise-linux-8-beta

This is what I have found so far. Comments are welcome.

http://epistolatory.blogspot.com/2018/12/first-sysadmindevops-impression-on-rhel.html

Anyone know when it would get out of beta?

Thanks

Yes, Yuwen ... when it's ready ! :D

Cheers :)
Christian

Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.