can't register more than 16 VMs as of today

Latest response

I'm on the free Developer Program subscription and have been happily creating ~30 vm's with it for about a year now. As of today I can only get the first 16 vm's to register via subscription-manager ... what changed?

Responses

Hi Aaron,

Not sure if that is a fault within the subscription system and if all users probably may be affected. Best would be to contact Customer support, because there is nothing a user himself can do in this case. The FAQ clearly says that an unlimited amount of virtual machines can be registered. Please report back what the support team said and how it will get handled from now on.

Regards,
Christian

well this is the answer I got:

After investigating your account we found our that the subscription for "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite" which used to allow you to subscribe up till 100 vms is expired on 03-APR-2018.

Only active subscription in your account now is "Red Hat Developer Subscription" which allows you to subscribe up till 16 vms.

For availing the "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite" again you will have to contact our sales team.Details on the same can be found on https://access.redhat.com/support/contact/Sales/

so when my free Developer subscription expired the other day, it presented me with a 'renew' link that just asked me to re-accept terms and conditions ... but for some reason it put me on a different subscription?? Makes no sense to me.... 'renew' should put you back to the same place you were before expiration... not some other place.....
this is what I signed up for:
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2016/03/31/no-cost-rhel-developer-subscription-now-available/ and they seem to have switched me out of it.....

Hi Aaron,

This is exactly what happened in my case as well - I had the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite subscription until 2018-04-01 and after it had expired, I signed in to the developer website, agreed to the current T&C's and then found the new Red Hat Developer Subscription in my account on the customer portal website. Regardless how the 'free' no-cost developer subscription is named, what you've got told does not match the information being provided on the developer website.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Aaron,

To get assured I checked the "Frequently asked questions: no-cost Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Subscription" site again :

8. How many Red Hat Enterprise Linux entitlements are included?

You may use this no-cost Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription on one (1) physical system with up to eight processor sockets. If you are using a system with virtualization, you can installed an unlimited number of guest virtual machines (VMs) on that system.

For example:

If your development system is running Windows, you can create as many Red Hat Enterprise Linux VMs as you need on your Windows system using VirtualBox, VMware, or Microsoft Hyper-V.

If you install Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a physical system, you may create an unlimited number of guests VM on that t system using KVM/libvirt virtualization or other hypervisor.  

So nothing changed regarding the subscription content - it still says that we can use an unlimited number of guest virtual machines.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Aaron,

I want to inform you that I have contacted the developer team via developers@redhat.com and asked them to clarify the situation. :)

Regards,
Christian

The same thing happened to me. I have a support case opened as well.

Hi David,

Please tell us which information you received from Customer support once they have responded to your case.
When you need arguments, in case the response is not satisfying, you should point to the FAQ's (see above). :)

Regards,
Christian

They pointed me to this thread and said they were researching with the Development team. The case is still open.

Hey David, cool - that means that the person I've contacted last week has pushed the investigation. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hello everybody,

Today I received the final explanation from Customer support, from now on it provides entitlements for 16 virtual machines :

"We are working on updating our documentation to mention that renewals of this subscription will be renewed with the new subscription that provides entitlements for 16 VM's."

Thanks to Alejandro from the support team and Burr Sutter from the developer team who helped me to clarify the situation.

Regards,
Christian

Hello everyone,

In March of 2018 the developer subscription that was provided by the developer program changed from 99 VM to 16 VM entitlements.

If anyone has the the legacy (i.e. obtained prior to March 2018) no-cost Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Subscription offered through the developer program, you may request to have the 99 RHEL VM entitlement grandfathered. To make this request, please send an email to the Red Hat Customer Service Department at customerservice@redhat.com.

Red Hat will be updating the related FAQs on this soon.

thanks, Heinz

Thanks for the information, Heinz ! I will check out your recommendation and report back later. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Heinz,

Here's how it went : I followed your suggestion and contacted Red Hat Customer Service. They've
responded immediately and now a new contract with six additional subscriptions has been added.

Only question left : Do I have to repeat the request after this "subscription pack" expired ?
Or do all six subscriptions get renewed automatically when I re-accept the current T&C's ?

Regards,
Christian

Hi Heinz,

Meanwhile questions got clarified - I received the following information from Customer Service :
"They do not renew automatically, you will need to reach out to us for renewal." Thanks again. :)

Regards,
Christian