My install ISO won't boot on USB stick

Latest response

Okay, I've never seen this before. I have the 7.4 ISO - both the Boot image and the full image. (I've tried both.) I restore the ISO image to my USB, reboot my machine, go into BIOS, direct it at the USB, and nothing happens. It just went back to the BIOS screen, nada.

The USB had a GPT partition table with one partition that the ISO image was restored to. I blew that away and created a MSDOS FAT partition, and restore the image that way. This time, it appeared to recognize it as a boot device, but the cursor just sat there blinking, zip.

One more try - - - keep the MSDOS partition table, format the partition as ext4, and try again. Nope - same thing that happened with FAT.

I'm at a loss. I've tried Legacy and UEFI boot modes. I do have secure boot enabled and I can't un-enable it. I've tried loading keys into my BIOS too - no dice.

This same server is being upgraded from CentOS. I've installed at least three versions of CentOS on this same server if that helps at all.

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas? Maybe try the 7.3?

Thank you and happy Saturday!

Jeff Gassman's picture

Responses

Hi Jeff,

Probably you have used the wrong tool to create the USB medium, or the USB drive is damaged.
Choose GNOME Disks to create it when you are on RHEL server with a GUI or RHEL workstation.

If you want to (or have to) do it on Windows, download the fedora media writer from getfedora.org.
When there is an issue with the downloaded RHEL 7.4 ISO, fedora media writer will report a failure.

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian. I did finally figure this out - when i restored the 7.4 ISO image to a USB, it only restores one partition without a boot partition. When I did the same exact thing with the 7.2 install ISO, I got my boot partition and I was able to install and boot. Then I just did a "yum upgrade" and brought everything to 7.4. :)

That produced additional issues though.. the 693 kernel panics on boot, so that's another Sunday morning project. :)

Hi Jeff,

That's why I suggested GNOME Disks ... this tool is proven to create the installation medium properly.
Upgrading from RHEL 7.3 to 7.4 brings along the switch from GNOME 3.14 to 3.22 ... a huge change.
I think a fresh installation of RHEL 7.4 is the best way to avoid "another Sunday morning project" ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.