Rapid deployment of lots of servers

Latest response

I've got a task to deploy RHEL 7.4 to a bunch of servers (around 27) as quickly and efficiently as possible. I was thinking to do PXE boot kickstart installs using a single kickstart server.
The servers will have differing hard drive layouts (some with terabytes of space, some with maybe 500 gigs) - other hardware specs will differ (amount of RAM, number of processors)
There are some required partitions that need to be created because of security requirements (i.e. /var, /tmp, /var/log, /home, etc)
Except for /boot, all the other partitions should be LVM.
Hostnames and IP addresses can be added after the OS is installed (unless there's a quick easy way to apply that via kickstart).
The hardware is physically located in a remote data center, so a small team will fly in, do the OS and app installs, and then fly back.
I was thinking to build the kickstart server on a laptop that is ready to go when they get down there; it should be as plug and play as possible when they arrive.
This is kind of an open-ended question - I'm kind of fishing for suggestions, ways to make things go quicker/smoother, open to ideas I haven't thought of yet.
Thanks!
Paul

Responses