patch installation issues

Latest response

I have a RHEL 6.7 server that is stand-alone, and is not connected to the internet. I downloaded many patches today, burned them to a cd, and installed them manually. I used the rpm -ivh command. It seemed to start with warning user doesn't exist - using root, ###### - 100%, then it goes back to command prompt. I check the version using rpm -q and it's still at the previous version. I have looked on the customer portal, but I can't find anything. Still searching Google. Thanks.

BRADLEY MONJE's picture

Responses

Instead of rpm, use the yum update *.rpm, this commands also checks all the dependencies.

BTW, rpm -ivhinstall a new package, but rpm -Uvh updates an existing one. That's why the yum is preferred way to install/updates packages, as it handles this automatically.

Regarding the missing user, it is kind of weird, better if you could provide a more detailed error message.

Hi Zdenek,

rpm -ivh package.rpm installs. rpm -Uvh package.rpm installs or updates == yum install package.rpm rpm -Fvh package.rpm Freshens, so only updates an already installed package == yum update

both approaches will give the warning user does not exists, if the rpm does not contain a useradd command for a required user.

yum will not be able to resolve dependencies other then rpm on a standalone server without a local repository.

Regards, Jan Gerrit

Hi Jan,

thanks, that's more correct.

The question is still which user it tries to use, without package name and error message it is hard to know.

//Zdenek

Ok, below is the error, but I believe the error is unimportant as the package was built with a default user/group name.

"warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using root warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root"

############################ (100%)

Then back to command prompt. And when I check the version still at the previous version. I am using the package.src.rpm If I use the package.x86_64.rpm I get the dependency error. I would have to upload 14 package.x86_64.rpm to get to the current version. I was hoping the package.src.rpm would work better.

package.src.rpm is not a normal rpm it is the source to build a binary rpm.

It is a burden without a repository. You will have to download all the dependencies one by one.

If you would have a server with the same Operating System that is internet facing, you could create your own repository server. Burn the repository to a CD or DVD and upgrade from the optical media.

If you wish I could describe this approach.

No thanks, I do not have another server connected to the internet to create a repository. I am trying to download them all now.

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.