CIFS problems (maybe new) on 2.6.32-642.11.1.el6.x86_64

Latest response

Hi,

I'm having trouble mounting a Windows share with CIFS. In fact, the mount command on the root directory goes through well enough, but I am not able to enter any subdirectories, except one, which is empty.

If I try to specify the subdirectories in the mount command, then the mount actaully fails with error code -22 which I have looked up, and it's one of those general errors "something went wrong", so no great information there.

I'm able to mount and navigate this share with my personal Debian Jessie Testing with no problems. I'm admit this isn't a great comparison, being a considerably different distribution, but anyhow, it means at least that my permissions are in order on the share, and that the share itself is almost blameless. It seems to have extra mount options in its defautls and I tries using these in my mount command, but there was no difference.

I said "almost blameless" back there, because I have other Windows shares at my disposal, and at least one works no problems on my 2.6.32-642.11.1.el6.x86_64, so this particular share is clearly more of a challenge.

Nevertheless, I have a recollection of this mount working some 8 months ago, so my suspicions are firmly with the kernel version of with the CIFS kernel module.

The next version of the kernel for this release was out on 10/01/2017 and it's 2.6.32-642.13.1.el6.x86_64. Updating would be an easy step to take, but looking at the changelog for this new version, there's no mention of CIFS. In terms of current CIFS bugs, there's just three for RHEL6, all posted by Sachin Prabhu o 09/01/2017 and so unlikely to be in this update.

1) ctime and mtime don't updated after truncate
2) The Error code ENOENT instead of ENAMETOOLONG
3) F_GETLK return F_WRLCK instead of F_RDLCK
4) CIFS: setcifsacl successfully but return 255

1, 2 and 4 sound a bit cosmetic with 3) sounding a bit more serious.

My next port of call is not try a customised CIFS module, but if anybody ready this has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Many thanks in advance / RF.

Responses