virt-who appears in content hosts, hostname

Latest response

Hi - hoping there's a simple answer to this. I've recently built a Satellite server running Satellite 6.2.14. We have VMware ESXi hosts so I'm also running virt-who from the Satellite server itself. All the content hosts have been picked up but the hostnames are all prepended with "virt-who" - so they all appear as virt-who-fqdn.

Does anyone know how you stop this from happening? My virtwho config looks like this:

[ipvcs]
type=esx
server=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
username=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
encrypted_password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
owner=Production
env=Library
rhsm_hostname=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rhsm_username=xxxxxxxx
rhsm_password=xxxxxxxxxxxx
rhsm_prefix=/rhsm
hypervisor_id=hostname

Thanks Julian.

Responses

That is by design. Hostnames (in Satellite 6.2 [and newer]) must be unique across every organization. In some deployments of Satellite, users will use virt-who to report the same hypervisors to differing organizations. Thus to keep the hostnames unique, hypervisors reported via virt-who have their hostname prepended with 'virt-who' and suffixed with the organization's ID. ( -1 for your first org, -2 for the second, etc, etc)

Only the hypervisors are prefixed with virt-who for the reasons Rich explained above. The hosts provisioned in those hypervisors should still be listed with their original FQDN.

Yes thanks, that's exactly what is happening in our setup. Thanks for explaining.

Ok so what if you're using RHEL servers for RHEV, I've got one hypervisor registered with "hostname-host1" fully registered and with the RHEL-SV sub added in Content-Hosts. Then virt-who adds "virt-who-hostname-host1-1" to the Content-Hosts and consumes ANOTHER sub for the Guest subs to work corrently. This feels broken and to be honest most of the documentation on Sat 6 and RHEV talk about running virt-who in different ways.

How do I clean this up?