yum and downloadonly

Latest response

What is the new option to download only but not install using yum?

Excuse me if this is ridiculously simple. Puzzling me and I can't find any discussion of it.

Recent rhel6 update to yum obviated the need for the yum-plugin-downloadonly and actually uninstalled the plugin. So for information purposes you try to re-install it:

# yum install yum-plugin-downloadonly
Setting up Install Process
Package yum-plugin-downloadonly-1.1.30-30.el6.noarch is obsoleted by yum-3.2.29-69.el6.noarch which is already installed
Nothing to do

Ok, but we run a nightly cron job to download any current updates but not install them. (We prefer that a human do the actual installation while monitoring any output). We do this in order to speed up those mornings when we have 50+ systems to patch and reboot in a small service window. If there are 200+ packages to download first, things get a tad bogged down as you can imagine.

That part of the cron job looks like this and has worked fine until the recent rhel6 overhaul:

/usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update --downloadonly

--downloadonly is still in yum manual page as a viable option. It ain't, as far as i can tell. For example, try to run an update manually using the option and you get the same result we get in our nightly cronjob, viz:

# yum -y update --downloadonly
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package bind.x86_64 32:9.8.2-0.37.rc1.el6_7.1 will be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

Updating:
bind x86_64 32:9.8.2-0.37.rc1.el6_7.2 rhel-x86_64-server-6 4.0 M
Downloading Packages:
exiting because --downloadonly specified

thanks for any help