What JBoss EAP installation method(s) do you use and why?

Latest response

I am a technical writer for Red Hat and am curious to know which JBoss EAP installation method(s) do you use and why? It would be very useful to know which methods are used most commonly and just why they are the most popular.

Responses

Russell,

Are you referring to the installation/deployment of the platform itself? or applications on the platform?

I am interested in what Red Hat recommends for automated EAP platform deployment (for 'cattle' style deployments).

I am looking at writing a new Puppet class for node configuration but if Red Hat has a Puppet Module they can recommend or a base docker image etc. i'd be interested to check it out!

There is some discussion regarding Puppet deployment here (from David Broker) which gets the basics up and running pretty quickly with Puppet.
https://access.redhat.com/discussions/686933

PixelDrift.NET Support,

I am referring to installation/deployment of only the platform itself. For 'cattle' style deployments I would recommend the automated installer. This requires that you install the product once, then save to an XML file the configuration options you chose within the installer. Further details can be found in the JBoss EAP "Installation Guide" at [1].

Thanks for pointing to the discussion about deployment via Puppet. Has that discussion helped you develop your solution, or are you using a different solution?

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/JBoss_Enterprise_Application_Platform/6.4/html/Installation_Guide/sect-Automated_Installation.html

Russell,

I find it interesting the the recommended installation method is a jar installer with an answer file, I was expecting that Red Hat would be working towards better RPM/YUM support for deployment and Puppet configuration post installation to align with the direction of Red Hat tools such as Satellite 6.

Is there a concerted effort within Red Hat to make RPM/YUM the preferred method of installation for JBoss products? There is some valid discussion about this topic in the thread I have linked above. My major reason for RPM preference is errata/update integration into existing (Red Hat) tools. Nothing is more tedious than manually patching applications that have their own bespoke update methods / approaches.

PixelDrift.NET Support,

My suggestion regarding the 'cattle' style deployments is not an official, Red Hat support statement but a personal suggestion. We continue to make JBoss EAP available in RPM format and I expect we will continue to do so. For JBoss EAP 6.4 we have made it optional for customers to subscribe to a "maintenance" RPM channel/repository so that they can continue to receive updates to the minor version release, while avoiding being upgraded automatically to the latest product version. I can certainly understand your preference for the RPM installation method. Your idea of installation and post-installation configuration using Puppet is interesting.

We offer several methods of installation to accommodate customers' needs. No one method is given precedence or preference over another.