How do i use satellite6 in automated manner

Latest response

I want to use Satellite6 for below purpose.

1) OS provisioning
2) OS patching
3) Configuration management
4) Application packages deployment ( custom packages for application )

in my ENV i have RHEL5 and RHEL6 hosts, and approx 50 different application groups and 4000 servers (dev/prod/qa) for individual app group.

i have cloned RHEL6 RPMs repository and kickstart repository from RedHat for my provisioning, and managed to apply some puppet modules after provisioning, also i have created different PRODUCTS and repositories for all 50 application group so they can manage their package deployment.

now my issue is, after provisioning is completed, i want to subscribe to CV that belongs to application team so application team can do their deployment, if i do that i lost the CV that belongs to OS repository as at a time only single CV can be added ( now if i add OS repository to my Application team's CV, then i have 50 diff applications and for all i have to add OS repo, which could be RHEL5, RHEL6 and management becomes difficult in case of upgrades ) .

if i create composite CV, then i have to create single CV and add all 50 CVs to that single composite CV along with OS CV, in that case all my 4000 (RHEL5, RHEL6) servers will point to that single CV only which is having many repositories inside, and if i publish that composite CV ( do i need to publish composite CV if i will change version for inside CV??) it will take lot of time to available.

now if i want to apply monthly patching, i have to every month create new CVs and subscribe those CVs to the systems and re-register system to be able to apply those patches ...

Does anyone have better solution to make this process better?

Regards,
DJ

Responses